One of the things which drove me to create this blog was the desire to share my own research with others connected in some way with my British ancestors. Although I originally planned to upload static pages exported from my favorite genealogy software, Rootsmagic, I soon discovered a much more flexible and dynamic option – The Next Generation (TNG). With this software, I was able to upload my Rootsmagic gedcom file and the resulting database created a seemingly endless array of reports based on the user’s search filters.
I’ve been researching my family history for 30 years, so I had a lot of information to upload Then, I took the Boston University Online Genealogical Research course, and I learned all kinds of things that took my research to a new level: I learned there is a right way to cite; and I was introduced to good research techniques, standards, proof arguments, etc. And I came to the somewhat mortifying realization that my own research was full of holes, carelessly formed citations, and lots of assumptions which begged better evidence. I decided to redo my own research, generation by generation….fixing citations, verifying everything, and generally bringing my work up to the standards I’d learned about in the BU course. I’m so not there yet…..
My plan is to revisit every line, but it’s going rather slowly, and in the mean time, I struggle with a nagging unease that readers are incorporating my research , which may be faulty, into their own family trees. So, for now, I’m going to take my TNG database offline. In its place, I will add narrative reports on the various surnames and lines I feel good about. Please, if you’ve used my previous work to further yours, compare your notes to these new, updated narratives, to make sure I haven’t passed on bad information. Thanks! And good luck with your research