The Denchfields were an old Buckinghamshire family who entered my paternal British line with the marriage of Ann Denchfield to William Baker on the 1st of May, 1784. The couple married in St. Mary’s Church in North Marston, where Denchfields had been baptized, married, and buried for hundreds of years; certainly before official parish record keeping began in 1600, but unfortunately nothing earlier has survived. The Denchfields’ lives are fairly well documented in North Marston, however their propensity for naming sons John and Richard, leads to an early 18th century brick wall.
Ann Denchfield was 21 when she married William Baker. She had lived all her life in North Marston and was the sixth child produced from the union of John Denchfield and Mary Gurney.
1. Anne DENCHFIELD was baptized 1 May 1773; she died 16 February 1829
2. John DENCHFIELD: was baptized 9 March 1737; he married Mary GURNEY on 8 October 1771; and died 3 November 1799
3. Mary GURNEY, daughter of Robert and Ann GURNEY, was baptized 27 June 1742; she died 9 Sepember 1817 and was buried in Burston, Bucks.
Children of John DENCHFIELD and Mary GURNEY:
Elizabeth DENCHFIELD (b. 21 Jun 1762; died 21 May 1815, in Abbot’s Aston, Burston, Bucks)
Mary DENCHFIELD ( b. 19 August 1764; married James CHANTRAL of Swanburne, Bucks on 25 December 1786 in Swanbourne; died bef 1799)
John DENCHFIELD (b. 2 October 1766; married Ann FLOWERS 19 April 1786; died after 1812)
Ann DENCHFIELD (26 May 1769– 14 July 1770)
Jane DENCHFIELD (13 May 1771; married Joseph BRAZELL on 12 September 1793; death unknown)
(1) Ann DENCHFIELD (1773–1829)
Sarah DENCHFIELD ( 2 August 1776; death unknown)
Susannah DENCHFIELD (7 September 1778; married William CURTIS on 8 December 1808; death unknown)
Hannah DENCHFIELD (18 September 1780–16 June 1795)
Richard DENCHFIELD, of Boycott (17 January 1783; married Alice BLICK 12 October 1809 in Dunton, Bucks; death before 1871)
4. John DENCHFIELD was born ca 1714-1716*; he married Elizabeth BREWER on 6 January 1736; then married Mary THORNE on 13 April 1773; and died 26 August 1788.
5. Elizabeth BREWER, daughter of Roger BREWER and Sarah THORNE, was baptized in Aylesbury Bucks on 11 March 1716; she died 14 May 1759.
Children of John DENCHFIELD and Elizabeth BREWER:
(2) John DENCHFIELD (1737-1799)
Anne DENCHFIELD (24 September 1739, married Thomas Stevens on 10 September 1764; death unknown)
Richard DENCHFIED (b. 16 February 1740; death unknown)
Mary DENCHFIELD (16 March 1749; married David WARR on 9 September 1771; death 20 August 1772)
Elizabeth DENCHFIELD–Mary’s twin (16 March 1749–buried 18 March 1749)
Elizabeth DENCHFIELD (26 December 1751; married William BULL on 1 January 1774 in Whitchurch; death unknown)
Sarah DENCHFIELD (6 January 1755; married Edward CURTIS on 23 November 1772; death unknown)
* There were two John DENCHFIELDS born about the same time in North Marston: John, son of John DENCHFIELD and Elizabeth PURCHAS, baptized 19 September 1716; and John, son of Richard DENCHFIELD and his second wife Anne, baptized 5 September 1714. The two babies were first cousins with common grandparents: John DENCHFIELD (yes…ANOTHER John!!!!) and Parnell (possibly née INGRAM). Their fathers, John and Richard, were brothers.
There are three wills made by John Denchfields of North Marston, one probated in 1736, another in 1780, and another in 1799, which may prove helpful in identifying which John Denchfield married Mary Gurney. More on that later….
(Mystery Monday is a blog series hosted by Geneabloggers)
Ecclesiastical events which took place in North Marston:
North Marston St Mary: Parish Register Transcripts [4 parts]. Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England. Buckinghamshire Family History Society (BFHS), 2005.
Ecclesiastical events in Buckinghamshire County:
Buckinghamshire Family History Society (BFHS). (Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, U.K.). PDF reporting filtered searches of transcribed parish register databases. 2010. Author’s files.