It’s Surname Saturday and today it’s all about the MEADOWS branch of my family tree.Miss Annie Imogen Emily MEADOWS, pictured here, was my Grandfather Ted’s maternal Grandmother, and my Great Great Grandmother. She married my Great Great Grandfather, Henry Thomas BAKER, on 10 September 1883, at the parish church in Winslow, Buckinghamshire, England. Here is the MEADOWS portion of Annie’s Ahnentafel:
1. Annie Imogen Emily MEADOWS was born 29 Oct 1863 in Winslow, Bucks; she died on 3 May 1925 in Hoggeston, Bucks.
2. George MEADOWS, was baptized 3 Feb 1828 in Adderbury, Oxfordshire; he married Esther SELLAR (his second wife) on 1 Jan 1863 in Winslow, Bucks; he died 26 Sep 1881 in Winslow, Bucks. George was a hairdresser.
3. Esther SELLAR, daughter of Henry SELLAR and Charlotte TOMPKINS, was born 25 October 1841 in Winslow, Bucks; she died 1 Dec 1924 in Northampton, Northamptonshire.
George MEADOWS and Esther SELLAR had the following children:
* Annie Imogen Emily MEADOWS (29 Oct 1863 – 3 May 1925)
Charles Henry MEADOWS (22 Mar 1865 – 28 Mar 1865)
Esther MEADOWS (Sep 1869 – 1869)
Esther Avonia MEADOWS ( Mar 1877 – 25 Jul 1885)
Harry MEADOWS (twin) (Dec 1879 – Dec 1879)
Kate MEADOWS (twin) (Dec 1879 – Dec 1879)
4. Henry MEADOWS, birth unknown; he married Hannah EDEN 22 May 1817 in Adderbury, Oxon; he died before 1841, possibly on 12 Mar 1837 in Adderbury, Oxon. Henry was a plasterer.
5. Hannah EDEN, daughter of Robert EDEN and Sarah HAYWARD, was baptized 22 Jan 1796 in Adderbury, Oxon; she died in childbirth 30 Sep 1835 in Adderbury, Oxon.
Henry MEADOWS and Hannah EDEN had the following children:
Charles MEADOWS (1 May 1822 – aft 1902)
Henry MEADOWS (18 Jun 1826 – 12 Jan 1827)
* George MEADOWS (3 Feb 1828 – 1 Jan 1863)
William MEADOWS (5 Dec 1830 – 1900)
Thomas MEADOWS (28 Jul 1833 – 3 Sep 1841)
Henry MEADOWS (30 Sep 1835 – 23 Oct 1835)
Locate Henry MEADOWS’ birth date and place.
I suspect he was born in the 1790s in Oxfordshire, but I’ve had no luck locating a baptismal record for him. There was another Henry Meadows in Adderbury about the same time who married Hannah Hitchman in 1805, but they were older and had their children between 1806 and 1810. That older Henry was from King’s Sutton, Northants, which is just across the river from Adderbury There was also a Henry Meadows, son of Austin, baptized in Enstone in 1789. No Meadows children were baptized in Adderbury prior to 1800, nor were there any gap years in the register, so it’s fairly safe to say that our Henry was not born in Adderbury.
Locate Henry’s burial records.
I believe Henry died before 1841, when his youngest sons appeared in an orphanage on the 1841 U.K. Census. (a story for another day). The 12 March 1837 entry in the St Marys burial register for Henry MEADOWS on 12 Mar 1837, describes his age at death as 60 however, suggesting a birth year of 1777. This would mean Henry was significantly older than his wife Hannah EDEN, and that he’d been 40 when they married. This might be an indication that it was a second marriage for Henry, and that he was the same man who’d married Hannah Hitchman in 1806. It is confusing but not unheard of that a widower would marry a woman with the same name as his first wife. At this point however, there just isn’t enough evidence to know.
Please note: Nearly everything in my ancestral database is sourced; the caveat being that lots and lots of the citations for those sources were entered into my database BEFORE I discovered Elizabeth Shown Mills…one of my goals is to update the citations to the standards outlined in Evidence Explained, my new bible, but it’s going to take some time Meanwhile, if you are interested in a person or event in my tree that isn’t sourced, feel free to email me, because some of my citations didn’t carry over when I uploaded from Rootsmagic to my new online software.
(Surname Saturday is a blog series hosted by GeneaBloggers)